Like with every girl, lip balms are a huge part of my daily beauty routine, and I find myself reaching out for one multiple times a day. Though for many years now, I have sworn by Nivea. In fact, my first experience with any kind of lip color was with Nivea as well. I bought their tinted strawberry lip balm on a whim because the drugstore was out of the regular one that I used. Don’t get me wrong now; I love to experiment with new products, but I just hadn’t found a lip balm that was on par with Nivea’s Lip care range.
However, I do think that now it’s time to reconsider my loyalties. Maybelline India just sent me two lips balms from their recently launched Baby Lips range, and I am absolutely loving them. I might even be using them a little too much so that they get over soon, and I can try the other shades/flavors. 😉
Anyway, here are 7 reasons why you should have (at least) one of these babies in your bag:
1) It has SPF: The care range has SPF 20 and the color range has SPF 16. This is one of the biggest reasons I prefer this lip balm over Nivea’s. I have seen a few of Nivea’s lip balms with SPF 10 in the US, but I haven’t been able to find them in India.
2) It’s ultra moisturizing: I usually reapply lip balm every 2 hours, but I didn’t have to use this one more than 2-3 times a day. Maybelline claims that the lip balm protects and moisturizes lips for up to 8 hours. I wore it overnight to test their claims and found that this is only somewhat true. While my lips weren’t as hydrated as I’d like them to be, they didn’t feel dry either.
3) Easy to use: The lip balm is smooth and glides easily on the lips unlike some other lip balms where you have to layer on the product for your lips to feel fully moisturized. Also, one of the biggest issues I have had with lip balms in the past is that they leave a white residue on the lips. This one doesn’t have that problem.
4) Amazing Shades/Flavors: Their care range includes Mango Pie and Anti Oxidant Berry, and their color range consists of Rose Addict, Pink Lolita, Cherry Kiss, Coral Flush, and Berry Crush. I’m hoping to see more exciting variations in the future.
5) Great pricing: The price ranges between Rs 125-150 (less than $3) for a 4 grams stick, which is super duper affordable!
6) Cute packaging: I much prefer the clear caps of the US versions, but these ones are attention grabbers nevertheless. The colors are vibrant and so girly!
7) Works as a good base: I find that matte lipstick looks a little too harsh on me, so I always like to top it off with a little lip gloss. I recently used this lip balm as a base to use under my lipstick and it not only kept my lips moisturized but also gave them just the right amount of shine.
The mango scent is actually quite fresh and not at all artificial. It’s a refreshing change from other predictable berry flavors. I have discovered that if you use this, one of three things is likely to happen: 1) You will suddenly crave mangoes 2) It will make your lips seem extremely kissable, and boys will pick up on that (damn, I wish it was flavored!) 3) You will keep trying to sniff your own lips. Try to resist the urge to do no. 3. At least not in public. At least not with people watching!
This one has a fruity, cherry-like fragrance to it and just a hint of pinkish color with shine (shown below). I only like to wear dark/bright lip colors on special occasions, so I think this is a great color for everyday use.
This one is a keeper, ladies. Sorry Nivea, it’s over. I’ve found someone else! 😉
If you haven’t tried these lip balms yet, make sure to pick them up the next time you go shopping or buy them online here. You will be addicted to them in no time!