Black is sexy, and it’s elegant. Black is mysterious, and a classic. Black is flattering, and it’s versatile. Yet, if not worn right, black can also be extremely boring and predictable; especially when you are donning it from head to toe. Given my love for color, you will normally never see me in an all black outfit; I always try to break up the monotony with colorful scarves, shoes, and accessories, and if nothing else works, through a bright lip color or nail paint. Particularly because this season is all about neon hues and color blocking, wearing all black should have been completely out of the question.
Except, ironically, it’s not! The current crop of celebrities spotted wearing all black ensembles and making it look anything but boring has definitely taught me a few things and caused me to reconsider my aversion to all black.
Here’s What I Learned + Tips To Wear An All Black (or any monochromatic) Outfit:
- Instead of wearing a basic black top or LBD, pick something with embellishment à la Mila Kunis. Wearing something with a printed design, sequins, crystals, etc., is the quickest way to bring some visual interest to your monochromatic look.
- Play with different silhouettes. Mila Kunis’ Miu Miu dress, for example, has a fitted bodice that shows off her waist but the bottom half expands out to a bubble hem. The playful silhouette brings ample drama to her look.
- Experiment with textures: It saves you from looking dowdy and distracts people from focusing on the color. By combining jersey, cotton, leather, and suede in one outfit, Victoria shifts all the attention to the varying dimensions and textures of her outfit.
- Similarly, you can create a contrast with proportions and fit. Wear leggings with a loose fitted blazer like Victoria Beckham or wear a long cardigan with shorts.
- Wear an eye-catching shoe or accessory and make it the focal point. When you look at Victoria Beckham’s outfit, your eyes instantly fall on her fierce Brian Atwood suede over the knee boots; in Nicole Richie’s case, you can’t help but notice those stacked up bangles.
- Show some skin! This works especially when your outfit is extremely basic and/or you’re not an accessories person. Focus on what you really love about your body. Is it your long legs? Your collar bones? Or your smooth and sexy back? Flaunt that, and your look is instantly a winner!
- Change your hairstyle: A simple change in your hairstyle can do wonders to elevate your look. Nicole Richie is a classic example here. She’s wearing a basic LBD and pumps but what’s truly stealing the show are her beachy waves.
So, what do you think? Do you have the courage to wear all black?
On a side note, many people have a problem with the constant pairing of fashion with celebrities, when really (as proven by this post) you can have something to learn from everyone! 😉