Recently, I had the opportunity to try out the Maybelline Superstay 14Hr lipstick, courtesy Maybelline India, and my first impression of the product was just how slick the packaging is. The clear bottoms of the lipstick are super convenient. Also, I was really glad that they sent me a shade (Always Plum) that I don’t previously own and would naturally never be drawn towards. It kind of pushed me out of my comfort zone and really surprised me, which was fun!
The Maybelline Superstay 14Hr lipstick claims to be an “ultra-lightweight formula” that “lasts for 14 hours.” Here are my thoughts on the product:
WHAT I LIKE
- Like I said before, I really like the packaging. The clear bottoms allow you to easily identify the colors and save a lot of time and effort. I, for one, am always running late and can easily misplace lipstick caps while deciding what shade to wear, so this is an extremely practical design for people like me. The pinks and the reds, especially, look very girly and attractive in the clear casing and would even look cute sitting on a dresser.
- There is a huge variety of shades to chose from (16 in India & 20 in the US), ranging from brown and maroon to pink, red, and purple. With so many options, finding a shade that would suit your taste and complexion is a cakewalk.
- The lipstick is extremely pigmented, so you don’t have to layer it on, subsequently saving a lot of product. Just one glide is enough to give you that bold look.
- Although the lipstick looks matte, I was pleasantly surprised when I actually wore it. Fully matte lipsticks tend to look a bit harsh on me, so I was glad when this turned out to have a subtle sheen to it. It even looks good when coated with lip gloss.
- My favorite part about this product is that unlike a lot of matte/semi-matte lipsticks, this one doesn’t feel particularly heavy on the lips. It doesn’t feel any different from when I wear lipsticks with a creamier texture. It’s easy to apply and gives my lips just the right amount of moisture. I do moisturize my lips before applying anything on them though, so it could be a little dry for some people. I find it to be comfortable, however, and don’t have to worry about dry lips for a few hours, at least.
- I also quite like the sweet, candy-like scent. It’s feminine and fresh, without being overbearing.
WHAT I DIDN’T
- This lipstick claims to last 14 hours, but I have to reapply it after 4-5 hours. I am generally a very hungry person though and am constantly gulping down food, so it can probably be because of that! Even so, I don’t see it lasting more than 6-7 hours; 14 hours is a stretch.
- My biggest problem with this lipstick, or at least with the shade that I tried on, is that it tends to make the lines on your lips more visible. It doesn’t sit as smoothly as I would like it to. Moisturizing your lips before application and a little lip gloss afterwards can help eliminate that problem. But it is still an extra step though.
Left: Maybelline Superstay 14Hr lipstick in Always Plum | Right: Maybelline Superstay 14Hr lipstick in Always Plum + Clear Gloss
It might be a lighting issue, but the Always Plum shade (shown above) appears a lot darker in person. It is a pink with brown undertones with a little bit of shine. I think it could suit a variety of complexions, although people with darker skintones will be able to use it with more versatility. I felt that it looked a little too dark on my skin tone and made me look a bit older. And I am barely a fan of looking my age, let alone looking older! I think I will save this particular shade for the evening, with barely there makeup on my eyes and face. It gives a very stained-lips effect, which is perfect for when you’re feeling experimental. On regular days, however, I like to top it off with some gloss, just to make the lip lines appear more subtle. Below, you can notice that after 4 hours of application, the color is already starting to disappear a little bit.
Bottom Line? If you’re actually looking for a long-lasting lipstick, then you might be a little disappointed. But if you, like me, are looking to build your lipstick collection and want vibrant and bold colors that feel comfortable and lightweight, then you should definitely go for these! I can’t wait to try out some of the other shades; eternal rose and keep me coral are already part of my wish list!